Monday 18 August 2014

Dirty dancing in the moonlight


This week my local theatre did a sunset cinema and showed my favourite all time film, Dirty Dancing! I was so over excited and the atmosphere was magical - it was pretty emotional. I wore my black skinnies, my trusty cut out black ankle booties, an elegantly detailed grey knit sweater and my new look leather jacket; I had my short hair in cute little plates.
My friends and I snuggled under a blanket and tucked into a chocolate share pot and cakes as musicians played to the glorious sunset.
As soon as the stars made their appearance, the film began and as always, I was mesmerized. Despite watching this countless times as a child, this was the first time I truly noticed the faultless fashion.



                 Firstly, the moment Patrick Swayze stepped onto the screen - the crowd simultaneously "whooo-ed" at his effortless bad boy look; the simple grey tee, classic leather jacket, cool black shades and impeccable hair. Strong look, very strong look!

      
This gypsy off the shoulder top with beautiful red floral embroidery has to be my favourite Penny outfit in the movie. I bought a crop top similar to this a few years ago from republic and I wear it with high waisted jeans or maxi skirt and accessorize it with a white lace choker on which I sewed a little red flower button. In this scene, Cynthia Rhodes pairs the billowing, loose fit top perfectly with a bodycon black skirt and black belt which looks so glamorous and so pretty.
Baby
Despite this 80's classic being set in 1963, I was repeatedly surprised by Baby's outfits, mainly because I would happily wear all of these outfits today. Her essential denim shorts that I wish would miraculously appear in my wardrobe. What has happened to shorts like these? They fit perfectly, the shade of denim blue is just right and unlike most on the high street today, they're a respectable length. NEED.

   
 White jeans and contrasting plaid shirt. In three words; simple but effective. I haven't been brave enough to invest in daring white denim yet but this outfit as well as Eleanor Calder' s gig outfits convinced me to buy the most current addition to my wardrobe-White tapered trousers with faint grey lines from next.
Furthermore, topshop are currently selling a red mix and match shirt similar to this for £30.

 Other than the way Johnny adoringly stares into Baby's eyes, my favourite thing about this scene is Baby's adorable, fittingly baby pink, ever so popular matching bralet and shorts. The ultimate co-ord!

 Every thing about this picture is flawless. Johnny' s black tank top, conveniently showing off those awe-inspiring arms, Penny's beautiful cami (similar to one I recently purchased from New Look for under £15), stunning red skinny jeans and fabulous belt - a look I will definitely be stealing! In addition, Baby once again looks effortlessly glorious in a simple white blouse and denim three quarter lengths - items that could be bought in most high street shops.

 Whilst researching for this post, I came across this photo from the movie premiere in 1987 (in which Cher made an appearance!). I can not believe how stunning Jennifer Grey looks with a red lip and my current love: the off the shoulder look.
*I would recommend Missguided or boohoo.com for an off the shoulder garment and would not suggest (like I did) cutting the neck off a regular long sleeve shirt from the wardrobe; it's trickier than it seems!*
I also loved Patrick Swayze' s alternative shirt collar accessory (a sort of broach with black string) I'm not sure what it's called but it's better than a regular tie or a bowtie in my opinion.


Finally, my favourite scene in terms of fashion; the staff party! I fell in love with the clothes worn by 'the dirty dancers' as baby innocently walked through carrying the famous watermelon. The cut off cropped shirts, polo necks and tops in grunge style fabrics and the high waisted trousers = my style inspiration.
                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment